Monday, March 02, 2009

QUOTE OF THE DAY

Andrew Bostom quoting Beaumarchais at CPAC 2009:
From "Marriage of Figaro", written at the close of the 18th century, included this freedom of speech monologue in Act V, Scene 3:
...
"I cobble together a verse comedy about the customs of the harem, assuming that, as a Spanish writer, I can say what I like about Mohammed without drawing hostile fire. Next thing, some envoy from God knows where turns up and complains that in my play I have offended the Ottoman empire, Persia, a large slice of the Indian peninsula, the whole of Egypt, and the kingdoms of Barca [Ethiopia], Tripoli, Tunisia, Algeria, and Morocco. And so my play sinks without trace, all to placate a bunch of Muslim princes, not one of whom, as far as I know, can read but who beat the living daylights out of us and say we are “Christian dogs.” Since they can't stop a man thinking, they take it out on his hide instead."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home