Friday, May 04, 2007

Do as the Mexicans do

Mexico does at least one thing right. It clamps down on immigrants.
by Bill Meadows - June 23, 2005
I lived near Guadalajara from 2001 through 2003, where I learned about Mexico's immigration laws and practices.
Based on first hand experience, I suggest we treat aliens in the U.S. like Mexicans treat visitors in Mexico...
Mexico made it plain that I was an outsider. I had to obtain a yearly residency permit, at a cost of about $150 (U.S. dollars), and I had to have an outside income or the cash equivalent of about $1,200 per month.
Poor Americans aren't welcome in Mexico.
I had to produce bank statements and a passport for proof of financial eligibility and valid identification. (90-day tourist visas are easy to get, but full time residency is a different matter.)
I had to produce my permit at airports and highway check points.
Airport inspectors were local police, while highway checks were done by state police and federal troops speaking of which, police and soldiers are the law, and only a fool would expect leniency from a judge if the unfortunate lawbreaker had to appear in a Mexican court.
No sympathy, much less a break, is awarded just for being an American.
Do you find this hard to believe? Well, read on.
**

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home