Wednesday, June 11, 2008

NYC: Another slap on wrist for muslime violence

BY NANCIE L. KATZ DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Tuesday, June 10th 2008, 4:00 AM

A father convicted of torturing a relative of his runaway daughter's lover found sympathy from a judge Monday - getting just five years in jail instead of the maximum 25 years.
"I miss my daughter. My house is like a cemetery," cried Javed Khalid, whose daughter, Maryam, 15, ran away with her boyfriend two years ago, spurning a wealthy suitor her Pakistani family chose for her.
"My little son cries for his sister everyday," he told Brooklyn Supreme Court Justice Joel Goldberg. "I don't know if she's alive or dead. Help me, please!"
Khalid and three relatives were convicted last August of binding, beating and torturing the uncle of Maryam Khalid's lover in a bid to find the young couple.
They all faced up to 25 years behind bars in the August 2006 assault. One of the men, Shafique Mohammed, whose daughter ran away with Maryam and returned, is being held by immigration officials.
In sentencing Khalid and Mohammed to the minimum, Goldberg said both are "hardworking fathers never involved in crime until this happened. Their daughters ran away from home and they believed the [victim]knew where they were."
Goldberg seemed to question anguished letters read at trial, purportedly from Maryam Khalid, who is still in hiding with Rana Usman, whom she has since married.
"The reason I left was because I wasn't happy. I and my boyfriend, Rana Usman, are together. I don't want anything happening to Rana's family," one letter said.
Jurors said those letters moved them to convict the men. Human rights activists say Maryam Khalid should fear for her life if she returns.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home